Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ups, Downs, and In Betweens

In the past week I find myself watching my belly more closely. You should not be surprised to find me staring at it at any point during the day. I feel a kick and when it's up higher I like to watch my whole belly move. I'm totally fascinated by it! Sometimes it's more of a slower movement like a hand stretching up high and then I can put my finger there and I feel something hard! It's baby!

I ran a lot up until 21 weeks. At 20 weeks I ran 3 miles at 21 weeks I could barely make it through1 mile. But it wasn't for lack of trying, it was just uncomfortable and I could walk faster than I was running. So I got a maternity belt to use when exercising. It fits around your waist and supports your belly when you are exercising. It's totally sexy! Not! Anyway I've had it for a couple weeks now and I have been able to run about a mile with it each time before I move on to something else. This past weekend I went for another run. I ran about a mile out and then tried to run back, but my belly was uncomfortable so I had to walk. My groin/leg muscles were so sore the rest of the day that walking turned more into waddling...and I'm not even to the waddle stage yet! Guess it's time to switch to swimming!

I've had difficulty with two things during my pregnancy. One of which I totally expected, the other not so much. The expected: indigestion. Therefore I eat Tums like candy. The unexpected: leg cramps at night (as in every night). Why did no one tell me about these! All night long I get leg cramps. They hurt so bad...I can not put into words how bad they hurt. All I can do is get out of bed and put pressure on it until it goes away. Then I lay back down and usually once it starts it just continues all night long. Most mornings when I wake up my calf muscles feel like they just ran a marathon they are so sore. Then today I read an article about being 27 weeks (I can't believe I'm that far along!) and this is what it said...

The second trimester is drawing to a close, but as your body gears up for the final lap, you may start noticing some new symptoms. Along with an aching back, for example, you may find that your leg muscles cramp up now and then. They're carrying extra weight, after all, and your expanding uterus is putting pressure on the veins that return blood from your legs to your heart as well as on the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs.
Unfortunately, the cramps may get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Leg cramps are more common at night but can also happen during the day. When a cramp strikes, stretching the calf muscle should give you some relief.

Are you kidding me?!? I've been having leg cramps since the beginning and they are only going to get worse! Good grief! But I'm not complaining! I love every minute of it!

P.S. I'm still living in ignorant bliss when it comes to labor and delivery. I'd like to stay that way for a little while longer, so if anyone reads this don't ask me about my birth plan because my "plan" is to go to the hospital and have a baby. And please don't tell me your birthing horror story. I can remain ignorant for another 2 months. That's when I go to my "Childbirth Preparation Class." And yes I know this could totally backfire on me... Baby stay in until at least 36 weeks, so Mommy and daddy know what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment