Monday, April 16, 2012

Breastfeeding Class/Daddy Boot Camp

This weekend was another exciting whirlwind of baby stuff. Which has been really positive for me, since work is really stressful right now. It helps me keep things in perspective and it gives me something to think about other than the job situation.

Saturday morning I had my breastfeeding class and Justin had Daddy Boot Camp. In other words I saw lots of boob videos and he got to change a dirty diaper. And we paid good money for this!

On the way home and over a fancy lunch at Costco we shared what we each learned. I'm sure if someone heard us from a nearby table, they would think we have the weirdest conversations EVER!

But after the breastfeeding class I am feeling more capable and slightly more confident in what its all about. I am excited to give it my best shot and Justin is totally on board...probably because it will save us about $1500+ during the first year. But he knows its better for the baby too.

I also learned the importance of skin to skin contact with the baby, especially right after its born. And that Dads can do this too. Even Grandmas, but I think that's a little weird...so I'll just pretend that I didn't hear that. ;o) I also learned that for about the first 2 weeks I can warm or cool the baby down by placing him/her on my chest (again skin to skin). I also learned that a baby's stomach is the size of the top joint of your pinkie finger when it first comes out.

I am pretty confident in the breastfeeding positions and in the baby knowing what to do. But not as confident in knowing the difference between engorgement and being full. I also feel like the teacher may have sugar coated the first two weeks a little. But I've heard if you can make it through those two weeks, then it gets easier from there. If anyone has read a book that might help, let me know!

Justin learned signs for postpartum depression. He learned about labor and that I'll probably crap myself. (Which let me point out was the first thing he told me he learned and I think he found it pretty amusing. I on the other hand am horrified by this.) He learned to ask me how he can help, since he obviously can't breastfeed. He learned about the wife being a "Gate Keeper". Which is where the wife takes the baby back whenever it starts crying thinking the Dad can't do it "right". He said he didn't think this would be a problem for me. I'm not so sure about that, but at least now I can be more aware and make an effort not to do that. When you marry someone who is slightly OCD (me), I would think that would be a natural problem. But maybe I'll surprise myself and prove him right!

They also had a couple new Dads with 3 month old babies in the class. I could hear one of them crying in my class where I learned that if that happens while I'm breastfeeding, my milk will come down and I will start leaking. What!?! This should lead to some pretty hilarious stories in the next few months!

Next weekend is Labor/Delivery Class. No more living in denial. No more ignorance is bliss. I put it off as long as I could. I should probably bring snacks and juice to keep my blood sugar up, so I don't pass out. I imagine there will be more videos...oh great. It's time for a heaping dose of reality. It's probably a good thing, because at this point I'm pretty nervous.

So I am ready for helpful tips if anyone has them. But I'm still not ready for horror stories, so keep those to yourself! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment